Dr. Catherine Cappadocia, Ph.D., C. Psych.
416-229-1477 extension 337
Dr. Cappadocia is a registered Psychologist with the College of Psychologists of Ontario, licensed to practice clinical and school psychology among children and adolescents. Dr. Cappadocia completed her Ph.D. in the Clinical Developmental Psychology program at York University and has spent the past several years working at the York Region District School Board. She recently completed a one-year term as a Coordinator of Psychological Services at the Board.
Dr. Cappadocia’s previous training and employment includes positions in day treatment and outpatient clinics at GTA hospitals including the Centre for Addition and Mental Health (CAMH) and Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital. She has published many research papers that focus on peer relationships and bullying behaviours among children and youth, and has taught at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) at the University of Toronto
Dr. Cappadocia provides assessment, consultation, and therapy services for children and adolescents. She is passionate about helping her clients to reach their full potential with respect to learning, building healthy relationships, and enjoying good mental health. Dr. Cappadocia takes an evidence-based approach to all services, using current clinical and research evidence to maximize effectiveness. She also takes a client-centered approach and places high value on building strong relationships with her clients, as well as providing a warm and supportive environment.
Dr. Cappadocia provides the following types of assessments:
- Psychoeducational (e.g. examining learning strengths and needs, learning difficulties and/or attention concerns);
- Social-emotional (e.g. depression, anxiety, oppositional/defiant behaviours);
- Autism Spectrum Disorder (includes Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule – Second Edition, ADOS-2);
- Giftedness; and,
- Assessments for College/University purposes.
Dr. Cappadocia uses a cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) approach to address difficulties with:
- Mood (e.g. sadness, depression, low self-esteem)
- Anxiety (e.g. general anxiety, social anxiety, phobias, obsessive-compulsive behaviours)
- Anger and Self-Regulation (e.g. tantrums or anger/aggression outbursts)
- Oppositional/Defiant Behaviour (e.g. oppositional/non-compliant behaviour, argumentative with adults and/or peers, parenting challenges)
- Social skills (e.g. difficulties developing and maintaining friendships, difficulties interpreting verbal and nonverbal communication, difficulties effectively assessing and interacting within social situations)
Dr. Cappadocia also provides consultation to parents, school staff and administrators, community agencies, and health professionals regarding all of the above.
For more information about Dr. Cappadocia, please visit her website at drcappadocia.com