Peter Buzek, M.S.W., R.S.W.
416-229-1477 extension 224
Welcome! I am a registered clinical social worker with over 30 years of experience providing counselling to individuals, couples and families. Although I do provide longer term psychotherapy, my primary focus is short-term, solution-focused, goal-oriented counselling which is why I call my practice “Counselling Solutions”. It is my experience that effective counselling is practical, solution-focused and client-driven. I believe that successful counselling is a collaborative process in which the client(s) and the counsellor work actively together to establish treatment goals, measure progress and achieve the desired outcomes. I work with my clients to help them learn the strategies and tools necessary to resolve their difficulties and to build on their strengths.
I use an integrated approach to counselling that is informed by various therapeutic modalities such as cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and emotionally focused therapy (EFT), as well as by my extensive clinical experience, but always with a focus on what works best for each client and which approach will achieve the treatment goal(s) as quickly and as effectively as possible.
Making sure that you feel heard and understood is very important to me and so I always strive to create a comfortable, safe and respectful environment in which we can work together to resolve your issues. I know that it can sometimes be a difficult decision to seek counselling and also to find a counsellor or therapist who you feel is a good “fit” for you. That is why I welcome having a telephone conversation with you before you make an appointment so that you have an opportunity to get to know me a little more and to have your questions answered.
My fee is $100 per hour. Many insurance plans cover my services. Sessions are 60 minutes long. Typically appointments are weekly or bi-weekly. Evening appointments are available.
- Relationship problems
- Substance Abuse and Addictions
- Work/Life Balance
- Family of origin
- Life transitions
- Relapse Prevention (addictions, depression)
- Pre and post retirement adjustment
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Psychology (York University, 1974)
- Master of Social Work (University of Toronto, 1978)
- Diploma in Addiction Studies (University of Toronto /Addiction Research Foundation, 1996)
- Member of the Ontario Association of Social Workers
- Member of the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- 10 years counselling in the mental health department of a large general hospital in Toronto
- 20 years as an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) counsellor. I provided counselling on a broad range of issues including addictions and critical incidents (trauma).
- private practice since 2008